Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Presidential Debate Drinking Game

I admittedly am not the first person to come up with this. I would venture that I'm about the 2, 376, 988th person to come up with it. But blog about it I will.

Tomorrow night is the third and final debate (*sniff*), which will be held at Hofstra University and mediated by Bob Schieffer. Tim and I, as we've done for every debate so far this election season, will watch it. Except this time, we're playing a drinking game. I drink for McCain, and Tim will drink for Obama, and we'll both keep a tally of how many times we drink. (I realize we could just keep a tally, but that's not as much fun.)

I don't really have a hypothesis to share other than I think I'll be drinking more than Tim. Maybe at the end of the debate I can come up with some conclusions. The following are the words or phrases that when said we'll have to drink. As you can see, the amount of words is even and the likelihood of them being said is in my opinion even (even though I still think McCain will say his more).

OBAMA
Folks
Look (two drinks for "uh, uh look")
Bush
Four more years
Last eight years
Middle class
Failed Republican policies
As I've said before
Affordable health care
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Al Qaeda
Every time he looks at McCain when he attacks him

Chug a whole beer if he mentions the Keating Five or "Bomb bomb bomb Iran"
Chug two beers if he mentions McCain's first wife, how many jets McCain's crashed, or how many houses McCain owns

MCCAIN
Maverick
My friends (two drinks for "But look my friends")
Reach across the aisle
Experience
Warshington
Tax small businesses
Surge
Victory
Fannie and Freddie
My record
Earmarks
Reagan
Every time he turns his back to Obama when he attacks him

Chug a whole beer if he mentions the Weather Underground or says Obama's middle name
Chug two beers if he winks or says "you betcha," "doggone it," or "hockey mom"

BOTH
Bipartisan
Wall Street/Main Street
Change
Bail out
Clean coal technology
Mortgage
Golden parachute
Crisis
Fundamental difference

Chug a whole beer if they hug at the end (and try not to throw up)

If you have any phrases you think I should add, by all means leave me a comment. I love beer, and politics, so it's about time I combined them. In addition, I recommend highly reading Oliver Burkeman's liveblog for The Guardian during the debate, especially the comments. Yes, he's a Brit, but that makes it even better. You can read the last debate here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see the phrase "bridge to nowhere" somewhere on that list.

mandi said...

eric is coming over to watch it here. I think this is a great idea! I just hope i remember how the debate went at the end of it. Sounds like we will be drinking alot!