Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gooder writing tip #1.

While responding to an author's query this afternoon regarding the correct use of "which" and "that," I thought the following thoughts:

Hey! Maybe others are wondering the same thing!
Hey! Maybe I should share this kind of information with these others!

Thus begins my series of writing tips. Solicited or not.

Today's lesson: Which vs. That.

Easiest indication: which usually follows a comma; that doesn't.

Which most often refers to the subject brought up in the first part of the sentence.
For example: I like coffee, which I get at Starbucks.
This sentence says that I like coffee in general, and I get it at Starbucks.

Now, if I liked ONLY Starbucks coffee, I would use that.
For example: I like coffee that I get at Starbucks.
This sentence allows me to like no other coffee besides Starbucks.

Fancy talk: that is a restrictive clause; which is an unrestrictive clause.

More examples:
I like Johnny Depp movies that are good.
True, but this allows me to like only his good movies.

I like Johnny Depp movies, which are good.
More true. I like Johnny Depp movies of all grades. Johnny Depp is in the movie, then it is good.

Word choice is important. Amen.

No comments: