Sunday, April 05, 2009

Week 2

Today finished week 2 of my half marathon training. This week I ran outside, and was lucky enough to have the weather cooperate. Today was the four mile run. What makes running outside different from the treadmill are the inclines and declines, needing to share the path with other people and animals, and no televisions (which serve as wonderful distractions for someone who doesn't have cable). However, the hardest part about running outdoors is pacing. Even when I set my pace to a song I know is the pace I want I always end up going too fast and feeling completely pooped by mile 2. Then I slow down, try not to be embarrassed by my heavy breathing, and plow through, chugga chugga chugga.

The Lake Placid half marathon officially doesn't allow headphones. I'm a little worried about this and will likely try to sneak through with some little earbuds. Don't tell. I have realized that running is a good time to pray, but pretty soon I get really bored with my own thoughts and worries and need to move on--probably how you feel when you read this blog too often.

I've also begun to approach food differently. It's become more than just something to eat when I'm hungry. I actually think about the nutrients, vitamins, protein, blah blah blahs now when I have meals and snack because I actually have to. Needless to say I'm eating a little better and including foods I wouldn't normally (but I am having macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner tonight, so don't worry; I haven't changed completely). It's a little weird. I may start buying energy bars for a purpose other than being too lazy to make lunch.

I probably won't be writing about EVERY week of training, mostly because it's boring to everyone but me. Notice here that I said "probably." Just saying.

No comments: