Monday, April 06, 2009

Go Lions!

In a few weeks Tim and I are heading down to NYC for the official tour of Teacher's College. We're doing the whole shebang: financial aid, lunch with students, campus tour, and campus housing tour. Tim is 99.9% sure this is where he wants to be, and we're taking the tour to hopefully solidify the last .1%.

Yes, Columbia is expensive. And as we've consistently proven, we haven't exactly established a brimming college fund (and also took a train trip and bought B-Mets tickets; I like to spend money on experiences . . . or I'm just hedonistic). However, we've found out that the government, via loans of course, will cover all tuition and housing costs. Tim applied for scholarships and grants through the school as well, which we find out about later this month. Positive thinking is back in effect. Let me know if you know of any available scholarships!

We decided before we got married that we were okay with living in college-loan debt. This "comfort," we'll call it, is helping make the Columbia decision as well. It's frickin Columbia! (With a 98% job placement rate for Teacher's College.) Someday we will pay the loans off, even if "someday" gets pushed back a bit further.

A branch of my gym is nearby, and I've been investigating United Methodist Churches to attend. So far, this one seems to be my best bet. I haven't really begun thinking about what it will mean to be moving away and how much I'm going to miss being where I am right now. I'll do that in August.

No comments: