Thursday, December 18, 2008

A purpose-driven inauguration

So Barack Obama picked Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inauguration. This makes me sad.

To quote Sarah Posner from The Nation:

"Warren is not only a slap in the face to progressive ministers toiling on the front lines of advocacy and service but a bow to the continuing influence of the religious right in American politics. Warren vocally opposes gay marriage, does not believe in evolution, has compared abortion to the Holocaust and backed the assassination of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad."

I guess pissing people like me off is one way for Obama to say, in 2012, to the evangelical "Christians" whom he will be courting/coddlingbecausetheyarebabies, "Look how I pissed people like her off."

At least the Reverend Dr. Joseph Lowery is delivering the benediction. Is it to coddle me? Probably.

I know he's supposed to be everyone's president, but I want him to be my president. MINE! Diplomacy shmiplomacy.

And since my new favorite thing is to post videos in my blog, here is one on the topic from Anderson Cooper 360, mostly because I love him.

No comments: