Tuesday, December 30, 2008

For whom?

If you read my previous entry, you know I want to run a marathon in 2009 (I blame this new bug on my brother, who inspired me/talked me into it). Likely my first marathon will be the New York City Marathon in November. Then in January 2010 I want to run the Disney Marathon, with the ultimate goal of running the Paris Marathon before I die. There are plenty of races and time to decide; this isn't what this blog entry is about. I want to run for a charity, but I need help deciding. I'm appealing to you for suggestions.

I periodically get mailings from The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, recruiting members to run for the charity. Joining means being part of a team, part of an organized and valid charitable organization, and race fees and travel and lodging are all taken care of. There is an initial fee to join, then, depending on the race and the distance, a minimum fund-raising goal to meet. If the goal is not met, the runner is required to pay the difference. I plan on going to a local meeting to see what it's all about.

However, I would like to run for a more local charity (and since I'm a brat, running and training with a team doesn't really appeal to me). I'm having trouble thinking of a good one. There are plenty of local places I could support: Mom's House, The Danielle House, Literacy Volunteers of Broome/Tioga County, the local chapter of Special Olympics, or Sky Lake. Or I could run for a United Methodist charity - like UMCOR, Nothing but Nets, etc. I'd like, somehow, to set up an online donation site as well, which is a little harder if I'm trying to stay local. So help me! Any ideas would help.

If you're a friend, friend of a friend, stranger, leave me comments. If you have any experience with this or guidance, I would like it.

No comments: