Monday, February 26, 2007

Love Letter #15

Dear Al Gore,

Congratulations on your Academy Award. I stayed up late in 2000 to watch you win the popular vote, and I stayed up late last night to watch you win an Oscar. I saw the movie back in October, and like a good nerd I even stayed after for discussion. And they had pizza. I love pizza.

You know, I can’t help but be proud. We go back many years, more than ten, to high school, when I was diligent secretary of the Student Environmental Awareness Society. You were a great source of information. I could always count on you for advice. Remember those days? When I was a polite everygirl just trying to get an A on my English paper and you and Bill were trying to build all those “bridges”? We were decidedly more moderate then. I just wanted everyone to like me, and, well, you wanted to be president one day. I voted for you.

You broke my heart January of my junior year of college when you decided to teach at the Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism that year. You couldn’t have waited until 2002 when I could have actually been a grad student at the school (because of course I would have been accepted, been able to afford it, and gotten into the class)? I would take a math class if you taught it, even though me + numbers ≠ love. Me + you (however) = a different story.

So enjoy this limelight and the good it is doing. You are smart and funny and I like you. Ignore the haters. But if you ever feel blue, bring Peyton and Drew over and we’ll all get drunk and weatherproof my apartment. And Al, I know you’re serial. Me too.

Love,
Tara

No comments: