Friday, February 02, 2007

Can we get through February?

Since February is the month of love, and I don't care if Hallmark, Hershey, and FTD declared it so (what a horrible conspiracy to make people think about love), every entry this month is going to be a love letter.

(What is unfortunate about Valentine's Day is that it is so focused on romantic-relationship love...and perhaps guilt and consumerism. [I wonder if gay men and women can get two boy or two girl Hallmark kissy bears. Maybe I'll try it and see. But I digress.] But love comes in many forms, and even if Valentine's Day started because a future saint was marrying Christians even though it was illegal, it should be a day to celebrate everyone you love. [The sororities at my school did--my on-campus job was at the post office and Valentine's Day was the most busy because of their sisterly love. Never. Ending. Little. Valentines. On the plus side, we got to eat the candy that had fallen off of the valentines. But I digress.] Or in my case, I'm going to make the whole month of February one to celebrate love. At least in this blog.)

I'm not going to be angry or sarcastic.
I'm not sure if you know how hard this will be for me.

So watch lovey dovey movies.
Eat heart-shaped pizza from New York Pizzeria.
Send your grandma a Valentine's day card.
Call February 14 VD because it's funny.
And try not to barf at happy couples; they'll probably share their chocolate with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree.
even though I'm happily married I think the whole valentines day thing is fantastically commericialized!
Thanks for the outlet to vent.
:)

Tara said...

Oh goodness, vent away!
I'm sure my blog offers many opportunities....