Saturday, October 31, 2009

Saturday's soliloquy

Often while attempting to accomplish a task I think of another task that also needs accomplishing. In an effort to not forget to accomplish this other task, I leave the initial task to tend to the next task. This thought process then happens again, leaving two or more tasks unfinished in an attempt to finish others. Because I'm multiply tasking, this could be considered multitasking, except I have trouble fulfilling the "concurrent" implication of multitasking's definition (except with work, I'm actually and thankfully an adept multitasker while in copyeditor mode).

In noncopyeditor mode I seem to really do only one task at a time. I'll pull up the subway map online with the purpose of mapping a route, but while the map's loading I'll go get the ID out of last night's pants pocket to put in my purse, but when picking up my pants I realize the pile of folded clothes on the floor should really be put away, then while putting the socks in their disheveled drawer I begin to undishevel the drawer and come across some new tights that need to be taken out of their packages, then while placing the cardboard packages in recycling I decide the recycling should be taken out, then I'll set down the recycling to pick up the shoes that have accumulated in the doorway, then while taking those shoes to their designated spots walk by my computer with the subway map fully displayed. So, I set the shoes down and map my route, finally accomplishing my initial goal but creating four new unaccomplished chores in the process.

I'll then begin to take the shoes to the bedroom, come across my ID I threw on the bed, set down the shoes, and pick up the ID and put it in my purse. Task 2 done. Then while walking over to the open sock drawer trip on the shoes on the floor, pick up the shoes, and put them away. Task 5 done. Then I'll close the sock drawer, leave the clothes folded on the floor, and return to the map to make sure I've got the route right in my head. Three out of five is a good batting average, especially harboring the fear that once I start organizing the sock drawer I'll need to do yet something else.

I don't think this behavior is completely abnormal or has severe psychological implications. (You'd want to say attention deficit, but I'm a copy editor, so obsessive-compulsive tendencies would be more accurate.) Fear of commitment? I can give you a few people to call who will support you on that one; that is, if I still had their numbers.

No comments: