Monday, October 05, 2009

Photo bombing

Being a cultured bunch, my high school graduating class and I decided to take a day trip to an amusement park for our senior trip. We rode roller coasters, ate park food, went down water slides, but we had the most fun taking turns getting into the background of other people's photos. This was the late 1990s, before digital cameras were prevalent and affordable (and still required floppy disks), so the camera of choice was disposable camera, containing film that needed to be developed in order to view the pictures, making our appearances in these photos all the more surprising and hilarious, in our minds. What we didn't know, was that this was called photo bombing, an activity I encourage.

The Internet is full of amusing photo bombs. The funniest photo bomb I've ever witnessed was my brother standing behind a sparsely branched and decorated Christmas tree with his ass hanging out while family photos were being taken on the other side of the tree. Not until said photos were printed out for Christmas cards was my brother noticed. Great success.

Why am I bringing this up? New York City offers great opportunity for photo bombing. Our part of the city doesn't offer as many photo bombing chances as Times Square or the Empire State Building, but we do have some tourist attractions (and drunk undergrads who want to do group photos at the bar). I vow now to not let opportunities to drop a p-bomb pass me by. Yes, I know I'm old and not very spontaneous or funny, but I will be that girl in the background more than once before a year passes. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments: