Monday, November 10, 2008

The Male Cougar

I'm not talking about the animal, but I'm guessing most people reading this don't think of a large cat when they hear the word "cougar." I am of course referring to older women who date/seek younger men. Famous cougars include Mrs. Robinson, Demi Moore, Linda Hogan, and me - if being four years older than your husband counts.

Despite that the term is derogatory and sexist, I'm going to talk about it anyway. Just for fun. The important questions: What is the age difference requirement for a cougar? Can cougars be hot, or can only unattainable older women be hot? Are cougars looking only for a boy toy? I will not actually be answering or discussing any of these questions; I just want you to think about them.

My friends and I used to go to a more "upscale" bar when we were 22-23 because we knew older men and women there would buy us drinks. Good drinks. So the boys looked for the cougars, and the girls looked for, well, the male cougar. (Most of the time we simply met nice people who appreciated our situation in life.)

Like the term "male slut," why is the word "male" in front of it? Men can just be plain old sluts; no adjective is necessary. Men can be plain old cougars too. But does a term exist for "male cougars"? I, of course, did some research.

I've heard a tom (which is the actual term for the male cat), a dingo, a silver fox, a manther, an elephant seal, a liger, Daddy, a bobcat, a "creepy old guy," and "man." Or, a Redenbacher.

1 comment:

Anitha said...

Hi,

I liked your blog.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Anitha