Monday, December 10, 2007

In this edition of Why the World Needs Copy Editors:

The following is a section head in the book I’m editing:
Is there a place for psycho education?

Interesting question. I’m sure many psychos utilize the public school system. Prisons have libraries and education classes, so incarcerated psychos have a place to be educated. Magazine subscriptions are available to psychos, as are bookstores, libraries, and the Internet, so, actually, many places exist for psycho education. Or do you mean “should psychos be educated?” Well, I think everybody should be educated, perhaps especially psychos. It may help them with their psychoness. That’s not what you mean either?

Let’s see. “Is there” is quite vague, which led to my confusion. And since the paragraph that followed did not talk about where psychos can be educated or whether psychos should be educated, I’m led to believe that “psycho education” should be “psychoeducation.” So, after a brief review of the section, I took my magic pencil (or magic electronic tracked changes) and changed this heading to: “Is Psychoeducation Useful?”

This heading did not involve your typical, everyday typo or misspelled/misused words. In fact, you may not have even known anything was wrong with the heading until I enlightened you. (You’re welcome.) However, had I not changed this heading, others may have been as confused as I was, or, even worse, some readers may have gone on to write “psycho education” on a paper or exam and perpetuate the error. Even though it would have been so, so funny to leave it as it was, I, for the betterment of everything in the world, changed the heading.

No comments: