Friday, October 12, 2007

Let's go Mets!

At trivia last night we talked briefly about post-season baseball, and how much we cared. None of our teams are in it. Everyone’s go-to the Cubs are out. Well, what about Boston? Some said yes. I said no.

Why? The Red Sox new curse: they are becoming just like the Yankees. In the past few years since the “curse” was lifted, Boston and their fans have left a progressively sourish taste in my mouth. I still choose the Red Sox over the Yankees, but I think it's because I choose anybody over the Yankees, even the Braves.

To justify all I say on the matter: I have both Yankee-fan friends and Red Sox–fan friends. (This makes what I say okay, okay?) But, Boston’s argument about the Yankees being the evil empire is bordering on hypocritical. Boston is second in payroll only to the Yankees; they are the second highest paid team in Major League Baseball according to 2006 statistics, higher paid than 28 other teams. And maybe it’s just me, but when I think of the Yankees, I don’t immediately think of Boston. However, when I think of Boston, I immediately think of the Yankees—their team identity is so dependent on the Yankees.

Many times I’ve walked the streets of Boston and have seen “Jeter Sucks” T-shirts. Never have I seen anyone selling or wearing “[Boston player] Sucks” T-shirts. (The brackets are because Boston has a high player turnover rate—the Yankees have more continuity. Sox fans can wear their Jeter shirt for years. Because Yankees are well paid, yes, but so are Boston players....) Maybe I need to get out more. I don't know.

The history of the rivalry is deep, and begins with the cities themselves: Boston vs. NYC. Patriots vs. Tories, which city is the intellectual/art/cultural center of the United States, etc. In the Boston vs. NYC argument, for me, Boston clearly without a doubt wins. I would pick to live in Boston over NYC in a heartbeat, maybe in even less time. I have many reasons for this, which I'll spare you. Moving on. In the beginning of the league, Boston was clearly the superior team. Then, as we all know, Babe Ruth got traded to the Yankees, and thus the curse was placed. The Yankees went on with their lives. The Red Sox did not.

So, help me out, Red Sox fans. Give me some non-Yankee reasons why I should like your team and why your abundant arrogance is justified. The Sox are good, yes, just as the Yankees have been year after year after year. What if the Yankees were to leave the league next year? Would you still love your team as much? I truly want to know; I'm not poking or picking. So enlighten me and bless me with understanding. Because right now, when someone asks me, Yankees or Red Sox? I'm likely to say neither.

2 comments:

The Grammarian said...

The Average Red Sox Fan is a muscle-headed, two beer handling blowhard that makes life up in peanut heaven the kind of place you should not bring your kids. Bitter Bitter Boston. I like my life here, but fanship should not be built on mutual antipathy towards a rival. Which is why I'm glad my heart will always be in Cleveland. Go Tribe.

Tara said...

:-)

(I'm cheering for Cleveland too. Don't tell.)