Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Gooder writing tip #10

The correct use of only

I spend a lot of time during my workday moving the word "only" to the correct spot. "Only" is a modifier; it modifies the word that follows it. Here is my advice: when you write the word "only," take a second to read the word after it. Is it the word you want modified? I bet it's not. This is one of the most common mistakes I find.

Let's analyze.

1. I only love Hugh Jackman.
2. I love only Hugh Jackman.

1. Only love = I've belittled love! I only love Hugh, nothing more.
2. Only Hugh = Ah, this is what the writer meant. His or her love belongs solely to Hugh. (I am not the writer, of course; I love only my husband.)

The correct use of "only" is easy to achieve. It takes only awareness and a few seconds of thought. For this previous sentence most people would have written "It only takes awareness...." Luckily, the intended meaning would have still been clear, but why not just write it correctly to begin with?

For all of you future copy editors: Exceptions can be made with dialogue. Since the incorrect use often sounds more natural, it's okay to let a character use "only" incorrectly. Dialogue allows for many exceptions since it is a character speaking, not the author, so it is the character using incorrect grammar. Sometimes the incorrect grammar is intentional, and it's best to assume this (and this assumption will benefit your relationship with your author). If the character's grammar error glaringly changes the intended meaning, ask the author before you change it. You're welcome.

1 comment:

The Grammarian said...

Thank you for this important clarification on modifiers. I will henceforth be more aware, for I want only to be grammar-savvy.