Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gooder writing tip #9

Punctuation and quotation marks

First tip: When in doubt, put the punctuation INSIDE the quotation marks. Inside is where those oft-used periods and commas go. Not-so-oft-used semicolons and colons go outside. Question marks and exclamation points go inside or out depending on context; with these buggers you’re going to have to make a decision—but don’t worry, I’m here to help.

Examples

Correct: The book editor said, “Johnny Depp is attractive.”
Incorrect: The book editor said, “Johnny Depp is unattractive”.

Correct: Johnny Depp has been described as “smart, funny, and handsome”; “dark and mysterious”; and “hot.”
Incorrect: Johnny Depp has been described as “dumb, dull, and ugly;” “light and fluffy;” and “fugly”.


Now onto question marks and exclamation points. These depend on whether they belong with the quoted material. Inside if the quote is a question or exclamation, outside if not.

Examples

When I asked her if I could have her Captain Jack Sparrow poster she said, “No you can’t!”
Why would she say “no you can’t”?
She asked me, “why would you want to take him away from me?”
She looked at me as if I’d said “give me your first born”!

Tell all of your friends. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

YES. This drives me crazy. It seems that so few people understand it. And while we're on the subject of quotation marks, you should check out this blog (if you haven't already):

http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/

Tara said...

This one is a good one too: http://www.apostropheabuse.com/