Saturday, February 13, 2010

For Lent

Though Lenten sacrifices aren't as emphasized for United Methodists as they are for Catholics and perhaps members of some other protestant denominations, the period before Easter is recognized appropriately by Methodists as a time of reflection, simplification, and mourning.* In recent years my home church, Park Terrace Community United Methodist Church, has started a great Lenten practice they call Give It Up 4, for which four charities (local and worldwide) are chosen as beneficiaries to whom parishioners can donate money during Lent, the idea being that churchgoers give up some habit in their lives on which they spend money and instead give that money to one of the four charities. For example, if you spend $10.00 a week on delicious cupcakes, during Lent Park Terrace encourages you to instead skip the cupcakes and give that $10.00 to The Heifer Project, or Sky Lake, or Mom's House, or Henderson Settlement, for example. This combines the traditional Lenten custom of sacrifice but goes a perfect step further to include giving.

So why am I talking about this (besides to give a shout-out to the church I grew up in)? Because my Lenten observation is an adaptation of this idea. I haven't blogged a whole lot lately, but when I do I usually blab on about myself. Starting Wednesday (which is Ash Wednesday) I will not write about myself and instead write a blog post a week bringing attention to some organization, charity, cause, etc. that is working to make the world better.

This may not seem to you a great sacrifice or a great benefit, and God bless you if you think this because this actually will be a weighty sacrifice for me; I am, much of the time, insufferably egocentric (which stems from pride, which stems from insecurity, most likely.) See? I'm talking about myself right now. That my blog posts will be beneficial is more arguable, but I'll try. Lent as I see it is ultimately self-serving in that it provides opportunity for self-reflection, soul-searching, and spiritual betterment, which in turn benefits the world as a whole, and my Lenten practice follows this pattern, and hopefully on some level will succeed.

I could use this space to encourage you to do something similar, but what do I know? Do what works for you (and then share it with others).



*This is most certainly a layperson's personal description of Lent in her chosen denomination and not a statement on behalf of the United Methodist Church. Because I'm so widely quoted in very important publications, I feel a disclaimer explaining that no, actually, I'm not the top expert of all proclamations UMC is necessary.

No comments: