Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One year

Last night my husband and I shared a piece of the top of our wedding cake and watched our reception video, for the first time (I'm still not ready to watch the ceremony). As I had already concluded from still pictures, my bridesmaids' bouquets and my hair were twice the size I wanted them to be, and I probably should have told the groom to have the groomsmen wear black vests instead of green so they weren't so matchy-matchy weddingy (since renting tuxes was cheaper than having the boys buy suits, even if tuxes were more formal than we wanted). And I'd do the invitations differently. That's what I'd change about the day, a year later--well, except for maybe eloping in the French Quarter as was my original plan.

We realized the best way to include our friends and family would be to have a traditional wedding. In a church (ruling out informal wedding party attire, we felt, out of respect). With a reception at a place where others did the work (ruling out the backyard picnic idea). Even our honeymoon plans changed from "hop in the car and just drive" to "stay in one spot all week," because by the time it was all said and done, the less decisions that had to be made the better.

I didn't give a crap about anything, really, on the wedding day itself: I just wanted to get married and then go have a party with my friends and family. It bothers me that I'm bothered now by the hair and flowers and formality, but I think this is because it's the wedding that everyone else reviews and scrutinizes and holds for posterity. The wedding does not matter. The vows very much matter, the promises very much matter, thanking your friends and family for their support very much matters; all the other stuff is just expensive fluff (on which conversations will be had forever).

And the pictures are nice, even if your hair is way too stiff and poofy. And even if everyone looks too much like they are in a wedding.

4 comments:

The Grammarian said...

You put my own sentiments about What Matters so much more concisely than I have attempted to in various forms. Poofy hair and matchy tuxes, begone. Be glad you have the pictures of those b/c your posterity will get one big hoot out of it all. As will my kids when they notice how I had my dang sunglasses on for the majority of the reception b/c I was in such a happy bubble that didn't realize it.

Happy eating of top layer cake, Tara.

Tara said...

People look so silly in the happy bubble :-) Having to look at yourself inside the happy bubble from outside of the bubble is a humbling experience....

I can't wait for my kids to hear their mom say on the wedding video, "Hey--get a drink in your hand! Those bridesmaid dresses better be stained by the end of the night!" The videographer of course caught that moment.

And I'm sure you looked hot in your dang sunglasses ;-)

Stacy said...

that being said...it was the best party I have ever been to. And don't ever let me watch the video :)

Sarah said...

I thought your wedding was great--it wasn't too weddingy (from my perspective, anyhow).

And there's still time for the backyard picnic and the "hop in the car and just drive." That's the beauty about the fact that the wedding isn't the best part of the marriage--you still have tons of time to do all those awesome things that you want to do. And that's what anniversaries are for!

Congratulations on one year of being married--I hope it keeps getting better and better!