Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My College on a Hill

This is a simple story, really, in which nobody was seriously hurt, thankfully. It does concern my college that is set on a hill. I've been trying to come up with something funny regarding "higher learning" for about the past minute and a half, but I could not. Let me know if you do.

My college is currently renovating parts of the library, involving work that requires a wrecking ball. Well, the wrecking ball cable snapped, and the huge, round chunk of metal pinballed down North Main Street, hitting parked cars and eventually landing in the trunk of an Allegheny junior. The domino effect turned this into a four-car accident. As I said, everyone is so far okay.

I have not included a link to this story, because I want you to look it up on Google News. Type in "Meadville, PA," then click on "see all stories." Here are some of the headlines:

"Escaped Wrecking Ball at Allegheny College Goes to Town"
"Wrecking Ball Wreck"
"Wrecking Ball Comes Loose and Does What It's Designed to Do"
"Meadville Mishap Defines Wrecking Ball"

The third one listed is my favorite. Notice too how many Australian news outlets covered the story. I have no theories regarding this...I just thought it was interesting. Enjoy your Google.

No comments: