Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pencil lead, eraser shavings, and cracker crumbs

I just spent the past hour cleaning my computer keyboard, popping off each key and Clorox wiping it. Then I disinfected the cavity below. I just wanted my accomplishment of this worthy task recorded in writing.

When I reached the L key, NPR began a story about putting your keyboard in the dishwasher; Morning Edition and I are so in sync. Apparently putting your keyboard in the dishwasher is all the rage now, except with anyone who knows anything about computers. "Short circuiting" I think I heard the Microsoft employee say in the report (and unfortunately not regarding the awesome Steve Guttenberg movies).

However, if I've just given you an idea you can't possibly resist, you can buy waterproof keyboards from a company called Seal Shield. The company sells mostly to hospitals, for understandable reasons, but that "dishwasher safe" now appears on the keyboard's box leads me to believe the company intends a general market appeal. But if you don't want to buy a $50+ keyboard, and still want to put your keyboard in the dishwasher, the two people in the piece who had dishwashered their board report that the keyboard still functions.

Though I doubt it's far less satisfying than popping keys out and putting them back on.

No comments: