Wednesday, October 18, 2006

In a room without a door.

Since I'm not mysterious, mostly because I can't pull it off (and because I don't see the point), I'll share with you the meaning behind my blog's title. But first, a little history.

Early in my senior year of college I was given a CD by a boy, whose name I can't remember. Eric or Derek or Aaron. Or Frank. I don't know. Frank had a brother who had gone or was going to SUNY Purchase, and had heard play a fellow student who had now self-released a CD. He described her as being Bjork and Tori Amos's rebellious and funny child. So of course I listened to her CD that night, and it became a staple for the long drives back and forth from home and school, and especially for when writing stories for my writer's workshops classes. It was different. It was something my roommates didn't like. I either wore the CD out or gave it away by the end of my senior year. It was 11:11 by Regina Spektor, who now is way hip and all over the place. I never ended up buying Songs, or Soviet Kitsch (her other albums), and only listened to her once in a great, great while after college. I was a bad lover. But I've been listening to her new one, Begin to Hope, a lot lately. It's super. I actually heard her song "On the Radio" on Grey's Anatomy last year, and that is what catapulted me back in to another Regina phase. Way to go Grey's Anatomy--except for the whole letting Denny die thing.

So, after all of that very important information, I took my blog name from a line in Regina's song "Baobabs" that says, "How am I supposed to be? I don't have my thorns now. And I feel them sprouting. They'll grow right through if I don't watch it. They'll grow right through even if I watch it. A sunset couldn't save me now."

I'm not going to ruin the line by explaining it. Think about it and you'll get it.
So now, even if you didn't care, or didn't care until I brought it up, you know.

P.S. "On a pumpkin" refers to a Thoreau quote. I'll let you look it up yourself.

No comments: