Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Follow-up/through

I declared recently that I'd be reading more books (that I'm not getting paid to copyedit). I'm happy to report that I finished Love in the Time of Cholera and have begun Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. Feel free at anytime while reading this to interrupt and congratulate me.

As I also mentioned previously, this week is Independent Bookstore Week NYC. To celebrate, Tim and I hopped the L to Brooklyn last night and heard Jonathan Lethem read from his new book Chronic City at Spoonbill & Sugartown. Here I bought said book and had Mr. Lethem sign it, then soon after lamented my lack of foresight and leaving my copy of Motherless Brooklyn at home. I'll likely bring it with me to the December 4 finale of his marathon reading of the new book (awesome, right?) at BookCourt. So before then I need to read up to where he left off last night so that I can be a good audience member and teacher's pet.

This morning we visited the bookshop I mentioned yesterday, Biography Bookshop. This is another achievement for which you can congratulate me. In the sunshine and our sweaters we browsed the bargain book tables on the sidewalk, making piles of desired books and then, downcast, returning books back to the table in an effort to abate our gluttony. We bought books of course, all but one of which were under $10.00, including an originally $60.00 hardcover collected works of W. B. Yeats. The more expensive book was Juliet, Naked, by Nick Hornby, a book that is on my list of New York City related books to read (as is Chronic City). So Ms. Tillman's No Lease on Life has been trumped for now, but she is no. 1 on my Borrow from the Library list. (And libraries are awesome. Please don't view my book-purchasing binge as an affront to the glorious opportunity to borrow books for free from your public library, and do feel free to judge my penchant for making books mine - mine! - by buying them and owning them and keeping them in my possession for ever and ever because I. love. them. so. much.)

And as of this minute, I having nothing to edit. In regular-people terms, I have the day off of work. I could fold the clean laundry, or I could read until Glee comes on. I'm not folding laundry. You can congratulate me on this decision too.

No comments: